Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dauber? Dobber? Dawber?

I do not know how to spell the name of the tall guy with the blond hair and the really low voice. I think he was a former player for Coach and then became his assistant. This is an issue I touched on in the Golf post and I thought I should clear it up before I go any further with this blog. Coach and the others seem to be pronouncing his name: “dah-burr” but I’m not really sure how to spell that. Also, probably, this issue of how to spell his name probably wasn’t talked about a lot on the show.

Actually, there was probably like a running gag where UPS dudes would totally mispronounce his name when they were delivering him a football or some other type of thing. I bet it was all kinds of hilarious mispronunciations like “Rhubarb” or maybe “Doobie”. And I bet his real name was like, Clarence or something non-masculine that he was all ashamed of and that Coach made fun of him for because Coach thought it was a great joke to insult his friends’ masculinity. But not in a mean spirited, ignorant sort of way; more like a “that’s just how I was raised,” old-fashioned sort of way because he was a College football coach.

Anyway, I need to decide how to spell this name. I think I will go with “Dauber,” because “Dobber” seems a little philistine, and “Dawber” a little too affected.

So from now on, that tall guy that was Coach’s assistant, I will spell his name “Dauber”.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bet you didn't think anyone was reading this. thanks for updating.

3/09/2006 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In stilly grove beside the sea
He mingles colours, measures space;
A bronze and breezy man is he,
Yet peace is in his face.
Behold him stand and longly stare,
Till deft of hand and deep of eye
He captures on a canvas square
The joy of earth and sky.

Aloof from servitude and strife,
From carking care and greed apart,
Beneath the blue he lives his life
Of Nature and of Art.
He grieves his pictures must be sold,
Aye, even when his funds are low,
And fat men pay a purse of gold
He sighs to see them go.

My loving toil is of the pen,
Yet while my verse is not unread,
His pictures will be living when
My tropes are dim and dead.
God gives us talents great and small,
And though my rhymes I'll never rue,
Sometimes I wish that after all
I were a dauber too.

3/10/2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Fagerbakke ... Dauber Dybinski (189 episodes, 1989-1997

Also the voice of Patrick on Sponge Bob Square Pants.

5/06/2008 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home